Pancake's got hops. No doubt about that. The pony can jump. Which is good, because when you're 13.2, a 2'3" starter fence is the equivalent of--what? novice?--to a big horse. Here's an illustration of Pancake and our adorable Thoroughbred friend Rebel both jumping starter at the same show (photos shamelessly stolen from Emily Roepke #hopeshedontmind #betshedont #willdeleteandbuycookiesifshedo).
See what I mean? She's awesome.
Case in point: BN oxer.
And she's not afraid of anything that should be scary. Case in point: Chevron.
And she goes XC schooling like a pro. Case in point: Team CEO Eventing Weekend, July
(Tangent: How much do I appreciate my positive, supportive coach and teammates? Yes, I'm fully aware none of this is particularly impressive in the grand scheme of equestrian sport, but I have struggled a lot with confidence, so it's all a big deal for me. And they get that and cheer big for the small wins and I love them all for it.)
So considering all that, it seems like I should be able to pull this pony out of the field and go canter around starter. I mean, come on, it's max 2'3", 1400 meters at 250 mpm. Piece of cake, right?
But would you take a 16.2hh horse that looks like Pancake in build and fitness and try to go around novice on minimal conditioning? No. (At least, I hope not.)
So there's our Achilles heel: Stamina.
After our last experience showing over fences, when she was super fat and ran out of steam after six stadium jumps, I am very keen indeed to make sure she's fitted up for our next outing, Jump Start HT. The diet is keyed in, she looks good and is holding steady. But cardio fitness needs to improve.
So Pancake and I have homework: To canter for six minutes straight, at least once a week. (And because I really don't want to question whether we'll get around XC, I'm going to aim for eight minutes, twice a week.)
We did our first set today, trotting a couple big loops and then cantering in the field for six minutes (at 93 degrees!), on a timer. It went better than I expected--she was very tired at the end, but never tried to stop or got grumpy about it.
I have 21 days until the show. I've set calendar reminders for five conditioning rides, two jump schools, a dressage run-through, and a hunter pace before then. Am I overthinking starter? Yep. That's just how we roll.

Sensible approach. Take the little ones seriously & the eventual big ones will take care of themselves.
ReplyDelete