Friday, September 19, 2014

In Which We Get Physical

work me out, let's get physical

Eight days until Jump Start! Woo hoo!

Pancake's fitness regimen has definitely gone into event prep mode, greatly aided by my new friend Alayna, who's been riding her twice a week. Alayna's a KER research intern from Pennsylvania who was a hunter/jumper but now does endurance, if that gives you an indication of her bad assery. She is doing a stellar job of getting this pony moving and has been a huge help.

work me out, let's get physical

She usually rides on Sundays and Tuesdays. Then I ride Wednesday and Saturday. Her rides tend to be 45-ish minutes of mostly trot/canter. Mine are are alternating between conditioning rides, dressage schools, and jump lessons. 

work me out, let's get physical

Conditioning rides, we're up to 8 minutes of canter! I'll warm up with a little trot and a brief canter each way, take a walk break, then set my phone timer for 9 minutes. Stuff it back in my pocket and pick up a canter. We do big loops around the pasture, three one way, switch leads, three the other way, switch leads, then usually get around once more before the dinger dings. Then trot a half lap, take a walk break. She is still very tired at the end of this, but her breathing is much better than when I started this regimen, and I don't have to push her along--she'll generally self-propel. The cooler weather's been a big help too. I've been doing this twice a week, logging these rides on my conditioning app so I can keep track.

work me out, let's get physical

So with eight days left to go, the plan is:
Saturday: Alayna ride
Sunday: Hunter pace (egads, not sure what to expect here! But I'll call it conditioning.)
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Jump lesson
Wednesday: Conditioning ride
Thursday: Off
Friday: Dressage school
 ... then it's show time!


No comments:

Post a Comment