Friday, July 18, 2014

In Which We Rally

To review my previous post:
  • Pancake is still (although somewhat less) fat
  • Pancake needs to be ridden more
  • Pancake is lame
Total bummer, huh? Well, things are looking up.

First off, documentation of two important points. 

1) Pancake is determined to get any little scrap of grass she can possibly reach. (Which admittedly saves us time on weed-eating.)

2) Pancake is secretly a yoga master. The view is somewhat obstructed from the house and she won't do this if I'm within sight (I might feed her!), so here's the best image I have of the elusive Downward-Facing Pancake.




So you can see how she managed to blow up her knee--by kneeling on it like this All. Day. Long. The solution to this issue brings me to two additional points.

1) I have wonderful friends. Erika, Patty, and I have been trying to get together to go riding since about March. One or the other of us always has something come up, or my truck's broken, or the weather's bad, or I need to baby wrangle, or something. So last weekend we had a time, date, and place all sorted. Perfect weather. Babysitter. Stars aligned, winning lotto tickets, all that jazz. After a week and a half off, lots of bute/cort/diclofenac rub, I go out to the barn and Pancake's knee is huge. And she's gimpy on the longe. So, terribly disappointed and fighting a tear, I text and say I can't make it.

Patty replies with: I have a spare horse and a resident veterinarian. Put the pony in the trailer and come over.

And that, my friends, is how I spent last Saturday having a perfectly wonderful time, riding a perfectly wonderful grand old horse, with my two perfectly wonderful friends and Pancake got a checkup from Dr. J who says she'll live if she quits being silly. (And he's right, the knee looks great.)

2) I have a wonderful husband. Who ran an electric line around the bottom of my barnlot, right under the bottom board. Complete with beautifully trenched lines under the gates and everything. And got the biggest, baddest charger.

Sorry, Pancake--snack time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment